Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Paging Faraday Cage, Mr. Faraday Cage?

I am going to use this post for two reasons.

Reason #1 - I want factual proof of how to build a faraday cage that works and is known to work.  If you have the schematic or know how, I am interested.  I have seen the videos, I have seen literature and they all conflict with one another so I want 100% proof ideas here.


Reason #2 - The test in regards to the article linked HERE make me believe that one or many of these are going to go awry.  Or maybe we will be the test basin and gubbamint scientists will say it was an "X 5 solar flare of great magnitude that hit the Earth's atmosphere....blah blah <scientific jargon> blah blah fuckity blah!"


In Liberty,
Israel
III

4 comments:

Jack said...

Well for 1 , do you have a microwave oven? If so you have a faraday cage. The box of the microwave is a faraday cage. It stops the emp from comming out at you. the key for it to work is it has to have a good ground.

Dont forget to isolate the Items your want to protect, they cant touch the cage.

The Steel Ibeam said...

Jack,
I have a broken microwave oven so will that work? Also, what part of the microwave is considered the cage part? In a SHTF situation, I dont want to lug a big microwave around if I can help it.
As for not letting items touch inside, what can be used to suspend the items I am trying to protect? Would anti-static bags for computer parts work?

Thanks,
In Liberty
Israel
III

Anonymous said...

Poor mans Faraday Cage.

Galvanized trash cans with lids firmly affixed.

Insulate all objects from the can.

DO NOT GROUND. Doing so will only generate a secondary ElectroMagnetic Pulse inside the can.

DL

The Steel Ibeam said...

DL,

Ok, this makes sense as most galvanized cans are sometimes a bitch to get the lid off. (years ago I was a garbage man for 5 years, I know this for a fact)

The way those lids bond, I could see this being a faraday cage in theory. Technically it would not need to have a ground spike since it would already be setting metal to ground. The handles would make transporting items easy and could even have a carboy harness if necessary.

Question still holds, how do I insulate the interior walls? Would I line the interior with 1/2" styrene that is bound together with silicone sealant? I would assume the product would have to be completely airtight from the surrounding can.

In Liberty,
Israel
III