Friday, November 16, 2012

No Refrigerator?

One of the best email list I have had the pleasure to receive is the one from Dave Morris at Survive The Coming Collapse.  It is free to join and like most sites that send you information, you can take away some solid ideas from the site.

The email I received today is something that has been on my mind for sometime.  Sure we may have generators, but eventually what will you do when we have rationed fuel or not fuel at all?  Do you envision yourself taking your 5 gallon Jerry Can on a trek to go get some fuel in guarded territory?  I didn't think so either.  So I began to ponder things like Cold Packing, Fruit Cellars, Smokehouses and today I see David Morris did an article about Cheese and Yeast.

You can find David's article here and it is quite informative.  The video regarding keeping cheese has totally peaked my interest.  I know the video is 20+ minutes long, but it is worth it as she demonstrates issues with current store bought cheese and its water content.

For those that like to brew beer, wine or something a little more potent, the article also talks about longevity of yeast.  Even though the article talks about using it in a bread scenario, keep in mind that bartering bread or beer could be advantageous in the future. 

David's Article Here.

Aside from Yeast and Cheese, if you every thought about a smoke house, I picked up I nice little book on Amazon regarding their construction.  It is not very big, but quite informative.  From pit smoking a fish to an actual smoke house, you will find information in how to extend the life of food a little longer when refrigeration is not available.

Build a Smokehouse

Got some ideas?  I would love to hear them.  Post your comment so we all can learn.

In Liberty,
Israel
III

3 comments:

SFMEDIC said...

Here is one of the simplest ways to start with food preps. The LDS church has been doing this for generations and sell as non-profit. If one is just getting started this is the place to start.
Also if you google it they have a manual on line dealing with how to preserve fresh food.

Grog said...

Here's a way to use an old fridge for a smoker.

http://www.theingredientstore.com/foodpreservation/refrig_smoker.htm

The Steel Ibeam said...

Interesting concept using an old fridge as a smoker. However, anyone attempting this please read further down on the link so not to catch the fridge on fire. Also, I wonder if excessive heat is generated, if you would get some plastic vapor yield from the plastic inside? I know I will not drink alcohol anymore that comes in plastic bottles due to when exposed to any sort of warmth, the plastic gives up its natural oils which causes distortion in the flavor of your alcohol.