Monday, November 12, 2012

Controversy in the Back Yard

 
Title 4 Chapter 1, section 8(a)
 
§8. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
  1. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The elections are over and now we have those that are displaying their opinion to the outcome.  In my back yard in Pittsburgh, it would appear that someone who has the right to fly the flag union side down based on their belief has gotten into some hot water. 

Article Here

I would say we are in distress and extreme danger to life and property wouldn't you?

Israel
III

3 comments:

Walter Zoomie said...

I had a neighbor who flew his colors inverted after Bush won the second time.

I thought it was kinda dumb, but I was in no way going to confront him about it because I knew it was protected free speech...something I served my country in order to defend.

I won't fly my colors inverted now, although I understand why some folks do.

I think the original intent of the inverted colors thing was to display "distress" while flying over forts, on ships, or other such installations.

I let my Gadsden flag do my advertising for me at my home.

Wild Cookery! said...

I'd say the nation is 'in distress' all right. Try on life support! :P

The Steel Ibeam said...

Not sure I see a "Life Support" option in the Flag code. However, I did see the OccuTards were flying it with the Union side down last year. I guess the FSA didn't get enough Free Shit so they felt distressed maybe? Now I know that is not considered to technically be on Life Support, but the FSA's lives are supported by the working class so we may be on to something.